Week Eight: American Gods (6 points)

 I had not yet read American gods before this class, however me being a motion design major, I am a huge fan of the American gods title sequence that is currently on Amazon Prime. Definitely one of my favorite title sequences and worth checking out! 

I found this story to be full with concepts that really made me as the reader see things in my everyday differently. An example of that being the many different gods that Shadow and Mr. Wednesday meet along the way. Instead of going in my opinion the "cliche" route of making these gods lets say "the god of fire!" The author instead chose to have these gods represent entities that exist only in the 20/21st Century. Such as the the tech kid who is the god of computers, the internet, and technology, the goddess of television, and the gods of the stock market. What I found appealing about this is that it was a refreshing take on "superheros" and one that really made me think about something I had never thought of before. 

I believe partially the reasoning behind this could be to challenge how us as a society views those things such as computers, media, and the stock market/the dollar. The amount of time that things such as the internet and smartphones have existed is such a small sliver on the grand scale of human existence. But just think about how grandly they have impacted us as a civilization in such a short time. Obviously many great advancements have come out of the 20th and 21st century. But with that certainly also brings mass changes in social behavior. One of them being us viewing things such as "the internet" and "technology" as gods or simply having a heavy reliance on them on a day to day basis. 

How would a human lets say just 500 years ago react if they were handed an iPhone? 

My guess is that they would certainly see it as some sort of "god/divine power." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9: The Martian (6 points)

Week 12: Bloodchild (5 points)

The Future (2 points)